26 Maltese Drive - Town of Wallkill - Middletown, New York 10940
-
Tel: 845-343-7131

Home Button

 

 

Winter Storm Safety Information

Even when coping with power outages caused by winter storms, the Silver Lake Fire Department urges you to continue to practice fire safety.

When using alternative heaters such as fireplaces, wood stoves, and space heaters always keep children and pets at a safe distance (3 feet min.) This will also reduce the possibility of accidental burns.

Never use liquid fuel to start the fire in a fireplace or wood burning stove.

When using alternative lighting sources, such as candles, always keep children and pets at a safe distance (3 feet min.) This will also reduce the possibility of accidental burns. If using a fuel-burning "Camp lantern" indoors, make sure you properly ventilate the room by cracking open a window. Never leave candles or lanterns unattended.

Stay inside your home. Close off unneeded rooms. Cover windows at night.

Eat to provide your body with energy for producing its own heat.

Drink to keep your body replenished with fluids to prevent dehydration.

Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing. Remove layers to avoid overheating, perspiration and subsequent chills.

The Silver Lake Fire Department strongly recommends testing your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors whenever fuel fired auxiliary heaters or lanterns are used.

Board of Commissioners
Chief Officers
Line Officers
Company Officers
Firefighters
Fire Safety & Prevention
Event Calendar
Photo Gallery
{current_events}